Friday, July 11, 2014

Long Pants or Short Pants What's the Deal?

During my first trip to Singapore s dozen years ago, I took a few wrong turns and by the time I found the long bar at Raffles it was 5:06 pm.  As I sat down at the long bar and ordered up a Cabernet Sauvignon the bartender said I would love to serve you a Cabernet Sauvignon however we do not serve gentleman in short pants after 5 o'clock. As a result of that I have not returned to the Raffles nor will I ever. We went to the marina bay sands bar to go to the top and have a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. You have to get a special elevator to get to the top and we were there at 6:10 Sharp. I guess you can tell where the story is going because at 6 o'clock they no longer serve gentleman in short pants. What a disappointment for them.  I guess now they're on my list of places never to return to.  It still baffles me that in a tropical climate 1 degree from the equator, short short pants are not universally accepted.