Sunday, October 4, 2026

1 October 2026 Bilbao: UPS Trouble

 


We have used the "Send My Bag" service multiple times in the past.  There are times where it is easier or cheaper to ship a bag than to check it in on a flight.  The pick up has always worked but it is stressful.  Did I get the right address, will they ring the doorbell or will they just leave a sticky note saying they missed us, are the nagging thoughts that we go through.  In addition the pick up window is 9 AM to 6 PM, which eats us a whole day.  The same jitters were evident on this day.  I put out a note ahead of time and updated the address and my phone number with Send My Bag.  I was happy to get a phone call around one in the afternoon.  The driver could not speak English and I could not get any Spanish out so I immediately went outside and texted him a picture of the front door.  After a few minutes I saw the UPS truck off in the distance and went over.  It was the driver who called and we went over to the car where the bags were.  One look at the bags and he said he could not take them because they had wheels and the bags would have to be inside a box.  We were using the google translate app back and forth.  I was able to determine that if I got them into boxes, and called him back he would still pick them up for us.  He steered us to a Mailboxes Etc in the central district.  I looked them up and they closed at 2 PM.  That left us with less than a half hour to drive there and have them box up the bags.  It took 10 or 15 minutes to get through the Bilbao traffic but once we arrived they worked magic.  The bags were put into boxes, taped up securely, braced internally and paid for in only 10 minutes!  To top it off this location was also a UPS drop off point so we did not have to take the bags back to the apartment!!!


I found the truck!


He would not take the bag but he steered me to the place to fix the problem


Still wrapped up from Cyprus


The brown box was too big so they got packaged into two white boxes and it cost a mere 35 euros






     It has been 4 years and 118 days since we began our Migration