Monday, June 20, 2016

20 mile bike ride to Durnstein

19 of us decided a 20  mile bike ride would be a good afternoon excursion. First we rode through Melk and then up and over a big bridge. Once we were over on the other side of the Danube,  it was mostly downhill from them on. All skill levels were present and so we were not "making time."  Instead there were lots of opportunities to stop and take pictures. Also opportunities for our guide to give us some local tidbits.  We were riding on some sharp flagstones and I heard a pop. I kept riding but I heard the flap flap flap flap flap sound of a flat tire. I stopped my bike and lo and behold it is flat as a pancake. I got out the tire pump but was unable to figure out how to use it. The bike guide figured out how to use it but he was unable to inflate the tire. Unfortunately there were no spare tubes and the solution was to call a cab. One of the otjer riders heard that we were going to call a cab and immediately offered up her bike for my use! I think she had already been thinking about a cab prior to this point in the ride. I swapped bikes with her and off I went. This was in the town of Spitz and while that was all getting arranged we saw a ferry cross the Danube. The ferry was angled at 45 degrees to the flow and turned in just perfectly at the end and was very entertaining for all of us. We stopped a few more times to see an oversized replica of a 10,000 year old fertility symbol found when they put in the railroad. Bonfires from the previous evening and a white church.  

Ready to go 
Fritz present. ...check 
Big hill to the bridge level 
Push 
All downhill now
Flowers
Castles 
Wheat 
Yesterday's solstice party 
May pole left over from May
A Canoe! 
Village 
Ruins 
Village on the way 
I heard a pop
The pump is not going to fix this 
Call a cab
10,000 year old fertility symbol 
Ferry
Spitz
Castle 
The holy umbrella 
Barn swallow nests
The white church