Saturday, January 14, 2023

13 January 2023 Otorohanga: Kiwi House and a Hike Home


The Kiwi House is conservation / wildlife park with birds and reptiles. After the cave tour,  Leslie took the food that we bought at the supermarket up to the house while I strolled through the Kiwi House.  The Kiwi House was located in the Rotary Park and it showed its age.  The displays were smallish and a large section was under renovation.  Still I got to see a Kiwi so it was a success in that regard.  The kiwi enclosures were big but the lighting was low to simulate nighttime which made it hard to see anything much.  When I entered the room, there was a couple already there and they showed me where the kiwi was.  I was then able to follow it along the edge of the enclosure and right to the front where I was able to take an unauthorized photo.  I did not use the flash so there was not harm in breaking the rules.  I strolled through the aviary and the reptile exhibits.  Leslie and I had already walked on the top of the ridge above the park and I felt confident that I could find my way back to the house without going the long way around and via the road.  I headed in the general direction of Mountain View Road.  There were some ponds where I saw some new ducks and a large enclosed area that may have been part of the kiwi conservation area.  The trails sloped upwards so I knew I was on the right track.  These trails were very primitive and may have been created 50 years ago.  I took my time gingerly continuing uphill.  It was not long and I recognized a house that I knew was on Mountain View Road.  So just a few more minutes and I was back at the house.  We had dinner and watched a very cool sunset.  


A huge statue of a Moa a 500 pound 10 foot tall bird hunted to extinction soon after the arrival of man


Nice pants on this Kiwi


A skink at the Kiwi House


Two green geckos


Shaggy bark tree


Locusts!  Yikes


A sacred kingfisher


A paradise shelduck female


and a pair



A pacific black duck


One of New Zealand's big parrots, the North Island Kaka


The butt of the kaka


Long finned eels


An important food source for the Māori 



The morepork a native New Zealand Owl


Inside the aviary 


A dead tree fern


Out in the Rotary Park


This is the trail


New Zealand Scaup


Lots of tree fern debris


Uphill is the way I need to go


And more uphill


The tree ferns are very cool


Careful trecking


I recognized this funky house


One more set up steps


Well maybe another


I am at the top and I can look back down


Rotary Park!


The sun is setting


So it is time to get ready to travel tomorrow


Sunset


lingers and lingers


Finally giving way to night






 It has been 222 days since we began our Migration