Friday, June 20, 2014

A Delightful Dinner at Hutong


Our research paid off again - Hutong restaurant was incredible! We were the first to arrive for the dinner hour, which resulted in a window seat looking over the harbor, and Hong Kong. The interior of Hutong (which means "alleyway") was eccentric - red lanterns, a "wish" tree, and lots of heavy wood. The first course was a sea cucumber, which was delicate and yummy. Fritz ordered the "Red Lantern" that consisted of a dozen or so softshell crabs in a basket full of chili peppers - delicious! I ordered a dish called "Double Happiness" - pieces of a suckling pig, served with spring onions, cucumbers, a plum sauce, and "pancakes" to wrap everything in. The pig looked so good, so I decided to have just one piece all by itself. As soon as I did that, one of the managers came over to tell me that "we usually wrap it all in the pancake." Very sweet that he wanted to make sure I knew how to eat it. The bathrooms were really something, too. The water for washing your hands was a rain bucket. I love Hong Kong and Kowloon!!