Wednesday, September 11, 2024

9 September 2024 Toronto: An Early Morning Trip to Samuel Smith Park

 


Our penultimate day in Toronto started early.  I took the streetcar to the park and walked all over Samuel Smith Park.  I was able to see two new birds and add them to my list, the Belted Kingfisher and the American Wigeon.  I was out for a couple of hours and after looking at my exercise app I saw that I had stomped about enough to get almost 12,000 steps.  Then Leslie and I finished packing and cleaning the AirBnB.  Off to Ireland we go!


I used colored pencils to make the design on these rocks.  Then I headed out to the waters edge and placed the rocks out for others to discover.  


A wide open field at the start


A student center


The sun is coming up


Pink streak of light


The Canada Goose


A delightful sunrise


Banded Kingfisher


Gully


The skyline


Red necked grebe 


We three gulls are sitting about


Trumpeter Swans


Delightful


Mourning Dove


Sleepy swans


Cormorants on the wing


Lots of cormorants


Mallard


The signposts


Lots of flowers


Goldfinches


Double Crested Cormorant


A very tiny bird


Warbling Vireo 


Greenfinch


In the same tree as the vireo


Common Merganser


Bad hair day


Ready to surf


Howdy squirrel lovers


Mr. Corgi


The marina


Such a huge amount of goo on the lamp


An array of birdhouses built for Tree Swallows


With warnings about birdseed and fishing line


Sunflower


Lots of flowers


Grey Catbird


Another lake


Squirrel One to headquarters, over.  One big nut sighted, over.  The nut is taking my picture!


A gadwall 


Lots of birdhouses built for Tree Swallows


Another huge trail system




This looks like one of those cages where they ride a motorcycle inside it.


Nicely painted electrical box


An American Wigeon


Robin


Starling


Downy Woodpecker


Trying to hide from the camera


Goldfinch


12,000 steps!




 It has been 2 years and 96 days since we began our Migration