Tuesday, June 14, 2022

14 June 2022: Discovery Passage: The Early Bird Sees the Seymore Narrows


The Seymore Narrows is a very tight passage that was historically very treacherous.  The worst section, Ripple Rock, was blown up and cleared out in the late 50's.  It has very strong tidal flows, 14 knots and the ship had to pass when the tide was high.  We had been notified that we would pass this spot at 5 AM, so I was ready to go early.  The headwind was something fierce.  I didn't close the door to the deck all the way and the wind blew into the cabin and it was howling, loud, like a wolf.  The design of our deck allowed me to be out of the wind but still be outside.  The water was ripping and the wind was putting up whitecaps as we motored thru.  



Sunrise



This looks like to used to be a fairly large ship and mow it is just a barge


A big load to pull indeed


Approaching the narrows


Lush and harsh at the same time


Rough water due to the wind


Pulling some logs


Narrow it is!


More boats are out than I expected


I am glad that I am not the guy who has to avoid this sailboat, it was very hard to see!





Day 7 of our Migration