Monday, July 10, 2017

After lunch before the nature tour

Several days earlier, when we got to the Belmont at Machu Picchu, we had ordered a wine-and-cheese plate that we could enjoy upon our arrival. Little did we know, because it was our anniversary, they also provided a champagne bottle for us to enjoy upon our arrival. We can only drink so much, as Vera was not there to help us with the champagne we had all the liquor that we could handle. In addition all the drinks and food were complimentary at the Belmond so I never had the ability to open the wine up and drink it. Luckily for me it fit right inside my Scott-E-vest and so I could carry it with me. I carried it 22 miles by train 103 miles by car 2107 miles by plane 14 km by boat and 102 steps by foot power. I borrowed a wine opener from Ronnie and prepared to have a nice Peruvian Cabernet Sauvignon before our nature tour. However the cork was bad. Undeterred I continue to attempt to open it with the wine opener, and then finally put it in my shoe and banged it against the Treehouse tree to get the cork to come out. Luckily for me I had seen this trick on the internet at one point and knew that at some time in my life I would need to know how to do this. I was not going to carry that bottle of wine so far and give up without a drink.
Four attempts to get the cork out and it just kept disintegrating

If you put the wine bottle in your shoe and bang it hard against a hard surface., it will ease the cork out a little bit at a time. It's a delicate balance between getting the cork out and not having all the wine come flying out as well.

 
success I got the cork out far enough to manage the final extraction

Define Peruvian Cabernet with hints of cork. Actual cork that got stuck in my teeth but still a fine glass of wine. A fight well fought.