Wednesday, December 27, 2023

25 December 2023 Wadi Rum: A Walk at Dawn and Another at Noon

 


After seeing all the different tracks in the sand I was eager to get out at dawn and see what had been making all those tracks.  So even though it was pretty cold, I bundled up and headed out.  The tracks were not some desert quail but pigeons!  I did see another new bird the Brown Necked Raven.  There was a pair and they were inseparable.  There were some Tristram's starlings on a camel's head.  I walked down to the big dome, past that and to where the camels were then did a big swing out to the road and back to the cabin.


Here comes the sun


From pink to yellow


More birds on the camels head


A white pigeon


Tristram's Starlings 


Male and female


A laughing dove


Two brown necked ravens hanging out


Here the brown necks show


A fat pigeon


This Mourning wheatear has a white spot on its head


One of the twins


The flag is flying strong


Chopping some weeds


On the other side of the valley it appears to be a fan tailed raven


The wind is blowing strong


The tail in this Fan tailed Raven is shorter than most ravens, new life birds #5


This dog was howling all the time I was in sight.  It looks like a fox in this picture


Looking down around the next valley


The difference in sizes is huge


Hooded Wheatear



Ravens on the camels


Some sparrows over in the next valley


Over on the side that had the mystery lights.  They lights did not lead anywhere as I had imagined.  I thought it might be a bar in a cave but it was not.  The man at the reception said that I guy like me looked that I should be in a cave drinking beer.


Big chunks of rock


Heading back and looking at the cabin


The next camp is where I just came from


Back at the cabin




It has been 1 year and 203 days since we began our Migration