Saturday, December 25, 2021

22 December 2021: Puerto Natalas a Glacier Tour

 


At 6:30 I got down to the breakfast buffet and ate an omelet.  I also made a lunchmeat sandwich. put it in my pocket and took it with me.  At 6:45 I started walking to the Turisimo Office to catch the 7 AM shuttle to Puerto Bories.  I got in the first seat so that when I got to the boat I could get a good seat there as well.  Sure enough I got the front seat with windows in front of me and windows to the side.  The boat was a large catamaran and the ride was smooth.  The wind may have slowed down a bit from the day previous.  It did not matter because the boat was running fast 23 mph at the fastest and that alone made it cold up front.  It was a very cool excursion.  I saw a bunch of white horses in the distance, almost ghost horses.  There were dolphins riding the bow wake.  I saw a Patagonian Cormorant rookery and a pod of sea lions too.  There were spectacular waterfalls that were 30 meters tall and the star of the tour two different glaciers.  The intense blue of the ice in the glacier is just stunning.



Here is my ride for the half day tour


Both the van and the later busses just pulled right onto the dock


A cool house right by our launch area


I estimate that there were 50 people on the ride


They are like phantoms off in the distance


The white on this rock is guano


Another two tone mountain


Four layers and I am still chilly


So many cormorants 


they look like penguins from this distance


Not penguins at all


Just lots and lots of cormorants


Time to preen


Dolphins off the bow


The best picture, they are fast and hard to photograph


Lots of folks came out for the dolphins



First glimpse of the glacier



Sea Lions on the rocks


They were noisy with lots of squabbling 


And some snoozing too


Cute and menacing at the same time


Perhaps a baby?


The nicest of all the many waterfalls


So tall that it turned into spray


And cascaded down this moss covered rock




The full length was 30 meters


Getting close enough to see the blue


More snow pack on the top


Off in the distance we could see Torres del Paines