Sunday, July 22, 2018

The " OH MY GOD" bus ride

The second leg of The Nutshell tour is a bus ride. It started out normal enough on divided highways. It went through small towns and past picturesque houses. But then we pulled off on a road that didn't seem big enough for even one bus much less any other cars. This used to be the main connection from Oslo to Bergen all the way until the 1970s, but it is no longer. It is now a one way downhill only road used to scare tourists. It is also used by insane bike riders. They chose to take us on this section because I think they like to hear people saying "oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god".  That is exactly what they heard from the front seat were Leslie and I were sitting. The skill of this bus driver was nothing short of amazing. She knew exactly how many inches she needed to get close to the wall before she turned. There was an 18% grade on this road which is almost double the biggest I've ever ridden on. The vistas and the waterfalls and the scenic shots were incredible. At the end we started clapping and the rest of the bus joined in.
First row on the bus!



There are 7 or 8 buses waiting for everybody on the train. Although we got the first row on the bus it was the last bus


Beautiful purple and pink flowers along the way

Glacier topped mountains in the background

Small farmers homes 

A small road for large busses

Crazy is all I can say

Low gear and check the brakes 


So many waterfalls

The bus driver said the flow was reduced due to the dry summer

Pause the bus for pictures 

The new road 

Imagine the flow rate in the spring

Within inches of the wall

Narrow valley 

An old time mile marker

Bald knob mountain 

Cascades of waterfalls

We survived the bus ride