Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Off to get our Oslo Cards

We did not pick up our Oslo cards when we first came through the Central Station. It was an oversight on my part so I was tasked with going back and getting it today. I took a taxi to the Central station and looked at a mal, asked for assistance and finally found the tourist information centre. Of course it is not actually in the central station as advertised it's in a building next to the Central Station. I had a half hour wait trying to get my card but once I did the attendant was very helpful and the maps and auxiliary material were chock full of useful information. Once I came back we headed out to a huge and expansive art museum, the Astrup Fearnley Museum.  Because the art  there needs to be climate controlled the museum was air conditioned! Norway is going through its worst heatwave ever,  so we were happy to stay cool.  The art leans more to the modern side so some controversial pieces were there.  Some I liked some I did not.
The Opera House Down by the central station is very large. They have concerts and all the people can sit on the outside of the building

Standing in line of The Tourist Information Centre

Oslo is the tiger City

This one is on the loose in about to eat a small child

The number 12 tram was pretty nice

But I worked up a sweat on the way back to the hotel

 The interior of the museum

The exterior of the building is amazing. It covers for different buildings and many many levels

The exterior part of the museum that was closest to our hotel

A big block of glass

Barnacle Betty. If you look close this sculpture had see worms in Barnacles and crustaceans growing on it

A close-up of a 9-ft disc piece of art

So many butterfly wings

This culture was so large I needed two pictures to capture it all. This is the base of a flagpole

Here's the rest of the sculpture. It is a very strong political message

This is a whimsical piece in between to the buildings

America judge this one too harshly

But it is a cow and a calf eat bisected

And then stored in some sort of preservative fluid

This sheep was most disturbing
It was hard for the folks outside but we were nice and cool inside